- Programs & Events
- Taking Action
- Support CEW
Research Funding for Students
The Center for the Education of Women currently offers funding for University of Michigan students engaged in gender-focused research. In addition, the CEW Scholarships and Fellowships Program includes opportunities that support research.
CEW Student Research Grant
Riecker Undergraduate Research Fund
NOTE: The funding for the current year has been expended. Please check back in July 2013 regarding funds for next fiscal year.
The Center for the Education of Women announces the availability of CEW Student Research Grants of up to $1,000 for student-designed, student-conducted academic research on topics related to CEW's mission. These awards are intended for University of Michigan—Ann Arbor graduate students and upper division undergraduate students who are doing degree-required dissertation or thesis research.
Acceptable research topics have a gender focus, in such areas as--
- education and careers
- growth and development
- health and well-being
- political and social status and
- similar areas of gender-based interest.
We cannot award grants to support travel for conference attendance and presentations. Nor can we support travel and activities that are primarily for experiential learning, service learning, internships, study abroad programs, or similar enrichment programs not specifically tied to degree-required, student-designed research.
To apply, please submit a packet that contains the following:
- An approximately two-page proposal that describes the objectives and methods of the planned research project
- A project budget, itemizing all costs and showing how the CEW funds would fit into the budget and how the rest of the costs would be covered
- A letter of support from a faculty advisor. Access the form for the letter.
- A vita
- Proof of IRB approval for the research project (if relevant for the nature of the research)
Student Research Grants will be awarded on an on-going basis until the amount of funding available each year has been expended. Students will be eligible for a research grant only once during the course of any degree program. Receipt of a grant does not preclude eligibility for other forms of CEW financial support.
Applicants may mail, email or deliver their application packets to:
Center for the Education of Women
Attention: Kirsten Elling, Associate Director for Counseling, Programs and Services
330 E. Liberty Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-2274
Telephone: 734.764.6005 Fax: 734.998.6203
The Center for the Education of Women announces the Riecker Undergraduate Research Fund. The intent of this fund is to enable faculty members from any discipline to involve undergraduate University of Michigan-Ann Arbor students in research projects pertaining to gender issues.
A faculty member may apply for up to $2,000 to pay the wages of an undergraduate student as part of his/her research team. To do so, the faculty member sends a one- to two-page memo to CEW Director Dr. Gloria Thomas, email@example.com briefly describing:
- The nature of the research project and its gender focus
- The project time period
- The role the undergraduate student would play in the project
- The ways in which the faculty member would mentor the student
- The number of hours the student will work, the rate per hour, and the total amount of money being requested
- A project budget, itemizing all costs and showing how the Riecker funds would fit into the budget and how additional costs, if any, would be covered
There is no deadline for applications. Simply send the memo, or inquiries about the fund, to Dr. Gloria Thomas, Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants may mail, email, or deliver their application packets to CEW for either grant, in care of:
Dr. Gloria Thomas
Center for the Education of Women
330 E. Liberty St., Ann Arbor, MI 48104-2274